Even though I usually prefer serious and heart-rending books, I enjoy a light read every now and then - and I usually turn to a series book when I'm in that mood. Humor wears thin in many longer books but a shorter book can be sustained on "amusing and charming". But there's a fine line between "charming" and "annoying" - I'm picky about my humor (just like everything else).
Dishing It Out by Molly O'Keefe (HFlip 37)
(2005, Contemporary Series) 4/28/05
Grade: 4
Marie has finally opened her bistro, and is appearing in a successful cooking segment on the morning news, but she’s still struggling - and the annoyingly smug chef across the street doesn’t help. But when they’re maneuvered into hosting a cooking show together, she finds out that Van is more than he seems - not to mention incredibly sexy!
A charming and fun book. The plot is thin, but most of the book gets by just fine with likeable characters and plenty of charm. I loved the details about cooking, which were the best part of the book. The characters had great chemistry together (even though they didn’t jump in bed immediately) and the book was amusing and fun. Unfortunately, the book ends with a rote “she’s afraid to commit” conflict which was predictable and dull, and ended the book on a less appealing note. But overall, the book was a light and enjoyable read.
For anyone who loves chef books and worships at the altar of Alton Brown, this is the book for you. I debated about whether to give this a 4 or 4.5, but I had to give it extra points for the setting. Chefs are definitely sexy - I wish more authors would write about them! (I also recommend Cathy Yardley's Blaze Guilty Pleasures from 2002.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment