Monday, September 26, 2005

Good, But Not Great, Erotica

This story was recommended to me - I don't think I would have paid full trade price for one story, but I found it at the library. I took a quick look at the other two stories but they didn't seem very appealing.

A House East of Regent Street by Pam Rosenthal
Short Story in the Anthology: Strangers In The Night
(2004, Regency Historical) 9/25/05
Grade: 3.5

Returning war veteran Jack Merion plans to buy a former brothel and rent it out - but another party is interested as well. Miss Myles, the sophisticated mistress of a French prince, is willing to spend 5 afternoons with Jack in return for the lease - but will their erotic adventures unexpectedly affect them both?

It’s good erotica - the characters are well defined and the sex scenes are inventive and sensual (without resorting to the usual erotica cliches). But in the end, it just wasn’t that memorable - the story was just too short, less than 100 pages. (I usually find erotica too long, but not in this case.) Between the setup and the resolution, there just wasn’t enough meat in the middle - and the coincidences of the resolution didn’t help either. It needed more.

I tried one of Rosenthal's previous books and it had similar problems - the scenes at the beginning were sexual and exciting, but the book just fizzled out. She could really be good if she could make the rest of her books work as well as her love scenes.

2 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Is this one out in PB? I read another one by her and enjoyed it, but I bought it in trade size and prices have gone up since then *sigh*.

Karen said...

I think it's only out in trade. So many books are coming out in trade now, and many of them never come out in standard PB size. I don't think any of Rosenthal's books have come out in standard PB size. Unfortunately, it means that I'm getting more books from the library or buying them used - trade prices are just too expensive.