Monday, October 22, 2007

Not Quite Up To Par

I consider Cheryl St. John a buried treasure, and I'm always surprised she's not a more popular writer. Although I don't have any of her books as keepers, she's one of the most reliable romance writers today - even when she's not at the top of her game, her books are still worth reading. I can't say that about many other authors (even Mary Balogh has written some books I couldn't finish!).

Land of Dreams by Cheryl St. John
(1995, Western) 10/20/07
Grade: 3.5

Booker has come to Nebraska looking for his orphaned niece, who was taken in by spinster Thea. Little Zoe needs a mother, so Booker hires Thea as a housekeeper, and quickly realizes he’d rather have her as a wife. But Thea finds it hard to believe that anyone could love a tall, red-headed, older spinster like her.

Unfortunately, not one of Cheryl St. John’s best books. (It’s one of her earliest ones, and it shows.) Although the characters are well written (as always!), the relationship between Booker and Thea founders in the second half, in the wake of the “big misunderstanding”. The kids are cute (especially the hostile, abused teenager Luke) but this book just doesn’t have St. John’s usual flair and emotional appeal. Good, but not great.

I'm glad I have several more St. John books in my TBR pile - hopefully they'll be more satisfying than this one.

No comments: