Although this book doesn't really emphasize the money aspect, I find it amusing that we now have the "billionaire" next door. I guess millionaires are too commonplace now?
The Billionaire Next Door by Jessica Bird (SSE 1844)
(2007, Contemporary Series) 12/27/07
Grade: 4.5
Wall Street wizard Sean O’Banyon has it all, or so it seems. But when his father dies, and he goes back to his old home in Boston, the years of abuse come flooding back. The only thing keeping him together is Lizzie, the downstairs neighbor who excites his body and warms his heart - but can he learn to trust her, despite his past?
A great book that’s just a bit too short. The author does a great job in depicting these characters - the hero is particularly well done, although the heroine is a bit “too good to be true” - and also their strong chemistry together. It really felt like they were building a relationship, not just “instant love”. However, the ending was too rushed. Sean’s “big misunderstanding” actually made sense, in the context of his emotional issues, but there wasn’t enough time to really resolve it. (Although I appreciated that the heroine mentioned therapy - a realistic note that’s all too rare in romance.) This book could have easily gone on another 50 pages, and it would have been richer and more complete if it had.
Even though this book didn't quite hit keeper territory, it was so lovely to finally read a book that thrilled me. I was so glad to finally find a book with some real emotions and heart, I literally did the "happy dance" at one point while I was reading. (OK, that's a little weird, but it's been soooo long!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment