Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Bride and the Beast by Teresa Medeiros

I started reading romance in the late 80's, when I was a high school and college student, but I didn't start keeping a record of my reads until 1995. (My first database entry - March 9th, 1995, Prelude to Heaven by Laura Lee Guhrke.) Keeping a record helps me jog my memory and remind me of what I've read - but all the books I read before 1995 are a bit of a blur. I know I read quite a few Julie Garwood books, but unlike many romance readers, she was never one of my favorites. I found her books sweet but forgettable. This book gave me that same feeling.

The Bride and the Beast by Teresa Medeiros
(2001, Scottish Historical) 4/13/08
Grade: 3.5

The Scottish town of Ballybliss is haunted by a dragon - a mysterious dragon who lives in the ruined castle and sends demands to the villagers. One stormy night, they decide to appease the dragon with a virgin - hefty, spinster virgin Gwendolyn Wilder. But she discovers the dragon is only a man - a haunted man who hides his face, but thrills her heart.

A cute and charming story that was, unfortunately, rather forgettable. The story was well plotted, with interesting twists that I hadn’t expected. But the characters just didn’t engage my heart. The book felt like a book I’d read a long time ago and vaguely remembered. (An old Julie Garwood, perhaps? It’s much in the same style.) It was charming but still felt a bit contrived and lacking in character.

I can't remember if I've read other Medeiros books - I think I read some of her older books once upon a time (Heather and Velvet and Once an Angel look vaguely familiar) but they obviously didn't make a big impression on me. (I had Yours Until Dawn in my TBR pile until I peeked at the end and discovered a plot point that irritates me every time. So that one went into the trade pile.)

No comments: