I can't remember where I got this book originally - I think I may have gotten it as a giveaway at a conference or book signing, because I don't remember buying it. But I know why I kept it - it got a rave review from Mrs. Giggles! I don't always share her tastes, but I definitely have to thank her for recommending this one.
A Kiss To Dream On by Neesa Hart
(1999, Contemporary) 5/11/08
Grade: 4.5
After a harrowing experience in Bosnia, reporter Jackson Puller is given an easy assignment to help him get back on his feet - write about the Wishing Star foundation for deaf children, and its founder, Cammy Glynn. The more time that Jackson spends with Cammy, the more he realizes how important she is to him - but will she let him past her defenses?
This is a quiet book that lets the reader explore these two characters in depth, without a lot of external plotlines or sexual escapades. At first, the book is almost too quiet - it was easy to put it down and come back to it later, since it didn’t really have a lot of plot moving it forward - but it became more compelling as the book continued. Jackson is a great “nice guy” hero (maybe a little too nice to be realistic?) Cammy is the more troubled character (and her infertility issue a little bit too belabored) but I thought her relucance to get involved was realistic given her background. I thought the issues involving the deaf community were explored without becoming a lecture. Overall, I really enjoyed getting to know these characters, and by the end they felt like old friends. A quiet story is a nice change from time to time!
Another reviewer criticized this book for its "unrealistically nice" hero. From my perspective, this isn't a problem - after reading so many "unrealistically jerkish" alpha heroes, I'll take a hero who is too nice any day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment