Friday, June 06, 2008

Night of the Hunter by Jennifer Greene

For a few months, I was really inspired to read, for some reason. I was reading several books a week, a pace that I haven't equalled since I was a grad student. But I kind of got sidetracked - right now, nothing in my TBR seems to excite me. I tried and discarded about a half dozen series books, and finally made it through this one - but nothing is jumping out at me and saying "read me!" at the moment.

Night of the Hunter by Jennifer Greene (SD 481)
(1989, Contemporary Series) 6/1/08
Grade: 3

Loner Carson Tanner doesn’t need anyone, but he’s drawn to the great Snowy owl with a broken wing. As he’s trying to help the bird, he stumbles onto Charly Erickson’s farm. Charly is different from any woman he’s ever known - always accepting of him, no matter how he pushes him away, but insecure and certain that no one could want a woman like her.

This book was, unfortunately, rather blah. I read it in short stretches over a couple of weeks, and it was very easy to put it down and forget about it. Jennifer Greene’s books are always well written, and the characters were well drawn, but they don’t really rise above their stereotypes (the hard bitten loner, the proud but insecure spinster). The details about the Snowy owl and life in northern Minnesota were fairly interesting, but there just wasn’t much here to keep my attention.

I wasn't going to even put this in my database, but I'll admit, in the week or so since I finished this one, it has stuck with me. More the setting than the characters, but at least that's something.

No comments: