Friday, July 11, 2008

A Most Unsuitable Man by Jo Beverley

Although I read most of Beverley's Malloren books, I was never a big fan. Too much adventuring and running around. But I was tempted by this one, because the plotline was so appealing - although it was interesting to see how closely it resembled Hazard, at least in its outline. (The specifics are quite different.) I was reminded of Mary Balogh, who once said that she wrote books with similar plotlines so she could see how different characters would react to similar situations.

A Most Unsuitable Man by Jo Beverley
(2005, Georgian) 7/10/08
Grade: 4

After inheriting a fortune, Damaris Myddleton is ready to buy a husband. But when she’s humiliated by the marquess of Ashart, she finds comfort and amusement from Fitzroger - who is so appealing, but so unsuitable! But this penniless outcast turns out to have hidden depths, and when her life is in danger, Damaris begins to wonder if Fitz could be suitable after all!

This book has a lot in common with Hazard, which was set in the Regency but had a similar plotline. However, like most of the authors Georgian books, there’s more emphasis here on adventure. However, Fitz and Damaris are a great couple, and the author gives them time to get to know each other and talk together. There’s a little too much Rothgar-worship, especially in the last section, but the details of the Georgian era are fascinating, and overall, this was an enjoyable book, although I didn’t find it as emotionally compelling as Hazard.

I've become more aware of covers since I started working on the annual cover contest, although I still ignore unappealing covers most of the time. But I must admit, the cover for this book is wonderful. I actually prefer the front cover to the stepback image, although it's rare to see a cover that adheres so closely to the plot of the book.

No comments: