Edith Layton is an author that's been around for many years, and she's written some wonderful books. But I wonder what's going on with her books lately. They seem very "trendy" and lacking the historical background that she's so good at.
His Dark and Dangerous Ways by Edith Layton
(2008, Regency Historical) 10/28/08
Grade: 3.5
Jane Chatham is barely surviving, teaching dance to the young daughters of the ton. When she’s approached by Simon Atwood, Lord Granger, she’s not sure what to think - the money would certainly help, but why does he want her to spy on her employer? Simon survived a year in a French prison, and now he’s just spying for a friend - or is it more than that?
This book was frustrating. On one hand, the plot was interesting, and gave the hero and heroine a lot of chances to be together. I enjoyed many of their interactions, especially as they get to know each other. On the other hand, I never really believed in them, particularly the hero. The characters just seemed like pieces on a chessboard, to be moved around. The book felt erratic and choppy - it never engaged my emotions. And in the last few chapters, the plot became far too convoluted. (Why was the villain out to kill Simon? It made no sense.) There were some good parts to it - I liked the heroine, and she rang a lot truer than the hero - but overall it was a disappointment. Readable, but frustrating.
I always wonder why an author introduces a "tortured" hero, and then barely uses that in her book. Although Simon was supposed to be traumatized from his time in a French prison, it didn't ring true at all - it's mentioned once or twice, and used as an excuse for him not to get involved with the heroine, but it could have been left out with no real change in the hero's personality. Why tease readers with a nice tortured hero if you're not going to deliver? That's one reason I was frustrated by this book - it promised something it didn't give.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment