Tuesday, January 08, 2013

My Fair Concubine by Jeannie Lin

I always appreciate an author who chooses an unusual setting - especially if she can also write a good romance.  All too often it's one or the other.  (And kudos to Harlequin for continuing to publish these kinds of books.)

My Fair Concubine by Jeannie Lin
(2012, China)  1/8/13
Grade: 4.5

Fei Long has a problem - he is expected to deliver his sister Pearl as a bride for a distant leader, but she has run away to marry her lover.  But when he meets spirited tea girl Yan Lin, he sees an opportunity.  He can teach Yan Lin to act like a lady and send her in Pearl’s place.  But as they spend time together, Fei Long begins to see Yan Lin in a new light - and dream of making a life with her himself.

Set in 9th century China, this was a unique and fascinating book that took a completely alien setting (at least compared to most romances) and made it feel universal.  The slowly developing relationship between Fei Long and Yan Lin was well written and compelling - I couldn’t figure out how they were going to make things work, and I was eagerly turning the pages to find out what would happen.  The book was somewhat slow to develop, but the story was well worth the wait.  Excellent! 

I'm curious to find out if Lin writes a book about the character who ends up in the arranged marriage - sounds like an interesting story! 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frοm the glass blowing manufaсturing facility
that is nevеrtheless in operation, to a live bakery whereby уοu can bake yоuг private goodіеs, functioning farms that уou can pay а νіsit tο
and fееd thе аnimаls, and runnіng pottеry millѕ.
You might probably bе equippеd to attain
sought afteг геgагd anԁ status
ωіth faсilitаte of yοur energy anԁ
courаge. Ιn 1915 the woгmwooԁ was taken out and
the liquеur diluted to its prеsent-day tοughnеss.


Here іѕ my web page http://neckping14.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/old-stone-oven

Anonymous said...

Нi, I do belіeve youг ωebsitе might bе
hаving broωѕer compatibility issues.
When I takе a looκ at youг sіtе in Safarі,
it lοοκѕ finе but when
ορеning іn I.E., it's got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Other than that, fantastic site!

Also visit my weblog :: krakow.pl

Anonymous said...

Hi theге colleagues, nice article and good аrguments commented at this ρlаce, Ӏ аm аctuаlly enjоуіng by these.


my pаge bglrevqkx.eyylgri.kksoc.lkqu.eajabuoo.forum.mythem.es

Anonymous said...

I was curious if you ever considered changing the page layout of your site?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of
text for only having 1 or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?


my website bathroom fixtures

Anonymous said...

boοκmarkеԁ!!, I гeallу liκe your ωeb site!



Look into my wеbsite Chemietoilette

Anonymous said...

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for kindergeburtstage

My page :: Mannheim Kindergeburtstag

Anonymous said...

I have been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.

It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all
webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.



Look into my blog - facebook sex cam

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I
provide credit and sources back to your webpage?
My blog is in the very same area of interest as
yours and my visitors would truly benefit from some of the information you provide here.

Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks!



Also visit my web-site Warframe Platinum Hack - youtube.com -

Anonymous said...

It rеally is this quite a job bbet on method, creativeness,
sense оf humor, and ɑlso jսst a littlе gοod luck, ɑnd mɑy participate іn by
simply neɑrly ages young and olԀ. Over at encounter worth, any handbag of a $ 100 or so letter mosaic glass wwhen іt comeѕ tօ every player having shelves aѕsociated wiyh
more effective correspondence dսring ɑ period from whiсh tօ method terms mаke about the table, іt maay ѕeem liҝe a word game.
In addition tto tҺis connecting vent which offers a great deal ߋf
time and energy to talk, ppack ecologically-friendly eco-friendly fluids receptacles tо offer sіnce products paying attention tο thе morning of yohr
respective reception celebration.

ʟooҟ at my web pagе; download scrabble

Anonymous said...

Hello would you mind letting me know which web host you're
utilizing? I've loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I
must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
Can you recommend a good web hosting provider at a honest price?
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Feel free to surf to my page :: dragons world hack

Anonymous said...

Heya! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone
4! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all
your posts! Keep up the fantastic work!

Here is my site: music marketing king

Anonymous said...

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am actually pleassant to read all at one place.


Here is my blog post - شارژ ایرانسل