I've enjoyed some of Diane Farr's Regencies (particularly Once Upon a Christmas) and so I was glad to read her first single title. It was an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
The Fortune Hunter by Diane Farr
(2002, Regency Historical) 2/20/05
Grade: 4
With no other way to save his estate, Lord Rival has to marry an heiress. The first on his list is Lady Olivia Fairfax, who has devoted her life to charitable causes. But when he meets her unexpectedly, he finds himself drawn to her despite himself. But can he persuade her to risk everything, and marry him?
Witty, sexy, but not deeply emotionally involving. This was a smooth and easy read - I finished it in a couple of hours, and quite enjoyed reading it. The characters were fun, and although there’s no actual sex, the sexual tension between the hero and heroine fills the book. The focus of the book is the developing relationship between George and Olivia, and it’s fun to read. But even though I enjoyed these characters, I wasn’t deeply drawn into their story - up until the end, when the book does take off with true emotion. I wasn’t sure how to grade this book, but in the end, I had to grade it down slightly because it didn’t quite touch my heart.
Farr has been compared to Georgette Heyer, and in the end, it had the same problems for me that Heyer does - this book is amusing and witty, but doesn't have the level of emotion that I prefer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment