Sunday, July 24, 2005

A Disappointing Tortured Hero

Still working my way through some of the older books in my TBR.

The Heart's Desire by Gayle Wilson
(1994, Regency Historical) 7/24/05
Grade: 2.5

After following the drum in Spain, Emily Fairfax thought she’d seen it all - but she’s confused and attracted by Dominic, the Duke of Avon. He seems hard and uncaring, ignoring taunts about his crippled leg, his only passion his secret work for the war effort - but underneath he knows he can never have the happiness that others have. Can Emily show him otherwise?

Even though I love a good tortured hero, this book was a chore to get through. Even though Dominic had every reason to be “tortured”, I got tired of his whining - and Emily’s attraction to him didn’t seem to be rooted in anything other than plot necessity. It seemed like a throwback to books from the early 80’s - he treats her badly, she loves him for no apparent reason, and every development is predictable. Why did I keep reading? I did grow to like the characters, and the spy plot in the first half was fairly interesting. (And I kept hoping that the book would get better!) But overall this was a disappointment, even for a die-hard tortured hero lover.

It's hard to believe that there's a tortured hero that I didn't like! (As a friend put it, the more they suffer, the more I like it.) But there was just something missing in this one.

No comments: