I picked this one up because of the subject - I love books set in the theatre. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work.
Acts of Love by Judith Michael
(1994, Contemporary) 7/28/05
Grade: 2.5
After the death of his beloved grandmother, Broadway director Lucas Cameron finds letters from her protege - the brilliant actress Jessica Fontaine, who disappeared after an accident. He falls in love with her through her letters and is determined to find her - even if she doesn’t want to be found.
This was a frustrating book - parts of it were fascinating, but they were mixed with a lot of dull and unbelievable sections. The hero and heroine spend most of the book apart, but it worked in the beginning, when Luke was getting to know Jessica through her letters. Luke was annoyingly self-centered, and the section went on for too long, but still I kept reading, because I was eager to finally meet Jessica. Unfortunately, it didn’t live up to the buildup. Despite some really interesting sections about the theatre, I kept putting the book down in boredom, or skipping ahead. (And even for someone who loves a HEA, the ending seemed a bit saccharine.) The whole thing felt superficial and a bit shallow.
I'm really hoping my next read will be something special...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment