I just moved to a new city, and I'm thrilled to have the chance to join a book discussion group - I love meeting other romance readers! Even though I'm trying not to buy books for a while, I picked up this one so I'd be able to join in the discussion.
The Rogue Report by Barbara Dawson Smith
(2006, Regency Historical) 7/9/06
Grade: 3.5
Jack, the Earl of Rutledge, is enraged after his gambling exploits are revealed in an anonymous newsletter, ending his engagement. He decides to disguise himself as a math teacher at a charity school run by Julia Corwyn, an outcast from society since she had a child out of wedlock. But he finds himself unaccountably drawn to the stern headmistress...
This book is the perfect example of “nothing special”. The hero and heroine were likeable, the secondary characters amusing, the story unexceptionable, but nothing really stood out. It just seemed predictable. Sometimes an author can take a familiar story and make it sing, but this one just plodded along - it was pleasant enough for a lazy Sunday, but it could have been any one of dozens of books.
I hate to criticize a book that's OK when there are so many truly bad books out there, but this one just didn't stand out in any way - good or bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment