Sunday, June 25, 2006

Dancing With Sin

The title is one of my favorite things about this book!

Dancing with Sin by Jane Goodger
(1998, Victorian American) 6/12/06
Grade: 4

Even though she’s been married for six months, Rose is still an innocent in many ways - and still finds her husband a mystery. When she’s befriended by a lively neighbor, Rose enjoys being a little bit sinful, and she hopes that it will bring new life to her marriage - but she never expected to be caught up in a murder.

An interesting and compelling book. Rose is a fascinating character, although I sometimes wanted to shake her as her naivete gets her into serious trouble. And her relationship with her husband is well depicted; it’s a nice change to read about an ongoing relationship instead of the usual courtship story. The murder trial seemed to go on a bit too long - I was more interested in Rose and Luke than in the legal intrigues - but it kept the story moving. I would have liked a little more wrap-up at the end, but that’s a minor quibble.

Even though I enjoyed the character development of the first two thirds more than the murder mystery and trial of the last third, I enjoyed the book quite a bit.

No comments: