I'm always intrigued by books set in interesting and unusual times and places. So a book set in Restoration England didn't have to do much to attract my attention.
Puritan Bride by Anne O'Brien
(2004, Restoration England) 10/4/06
Grade: 3.5
Both the Oxenden and Harley families suffered during the fight between the Puritans and Royalists - but now that the King has been restored, it’s royalist Marcus, Viscount Marlbrooke, who is in control. He proposes a marriage of convenience to Katherine Harley, to ensure inheritance of the Priory - but can two lovers from opposite sides find happiness?
An interesting time period that I knew little about. I enjoyed learning more about Restoration politics - but I found the book easy to put down and a bit tedious. There was nothing obviously wrong with it (other than a ghost subplot that added nothing to the story) but I just got bored with the hero and heroine. The story was emotional and focused on the characters, but the relationship seemed to stagnate in the second half of the book, and there just wasn’t much to compel me to finish the book. (Maybe if I’d been in a different mood when I read it? Hard to say.)
I didn't hate this book - but I started reading it two weeks ago, and practically had to force myself to finish it. I can't explain exactly why, but it just didn't grab me, even though it seems like a book I would like. No chemistry, I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment