So many books feel padded, as if the author couldn't fill her page count without repeating herself a few times. But this author has the opposite problem - enough plot twists to fill three or four books!
Dedication by Janet Mullany
(2005, Regency) 9/18/06
Grade: 3.5
Twenty years after her affair with Adam Ashworth, Fabienne is shocked to see him again - now a widower with grandchildren. Between Adam’s reappearance, and her relationship with the daughter she gave up years earlier, Fabienne unburdens her soul to the mysterious author Mrs. Ravenwood - not knowing that the author is actually Adam.
This book is difficult to grade, because it’s a mixture of good and bad. As much as I liked the characters, the book was a jumble of plot points, thrown in almost at random - everything from hidden babies to secret sex societies to unrequited gay love to big misunderstandings. I started wondering what other bizarre twist the author might throw into the mix. But the characters were unique and interesting - it was especially refreshing to read about a hero who’s a grandfather (and who loved his late wife), and a heroine who didn’t waste away when the hero left her. And there were some nice moments of humor and emotion - if only they’d formed a coherent whole!
Alas, I was really looking forward to this one, since it was recommended by a friend. But despite my problems with it, I'll still be looking for the author's next book - she definitely has potential. (Her next book is supposed to be a "Regency Chick Lit". Doesn't sound promising, given my taste in books, but I'm willing to be persuaded.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment