Thursday, February 01, 2007

Angst By-The-Numbers

I love a good tortured hero, but that isn't enough by itself for a great read.

The Bride Sale by Candice Hern
(2002, Regency Historical) 1/31/07
Grade: 3.5

After being blamed for the death of his wife and son, Lord James Harkness has withdrawn from the world, even though his tenants see him as a heartless villain. But when he saves Verity from a “bride sale”, he finds himself charmed by her sweetness and generosity. She sees beneath his cold exterior to the troubled but loving man underneath.

Full of angst, but surprisingly, I didn’t connect emotionally to these characters. James is a by-the-numbers tortured hero, but his slowly building attraction to Verity seemed authentic. But Verity was just a little too perfect - she’s loved by everyone and seems to have no flaws. She didn’t have enough personality to really make the story come to life. The depiction of village life in Cornwall was well done, and overall it was an enjoyable read, just not as emotionally gripping as it could have been. I

Surprisingly, I was far more moved by Candice Hern's lighter Regency, Change of Heart. Even though it wasn't as "angsty" as this book, I cared about the characters more deeply.

No comments: