Sunday, January 21, 2007

Catching Up

Although I've been reading (some) over the past couple of months, I've been very lax in keeping up this blog. (Is anyone really reading it?) So I'm posting a bunch of reviews at once, and I'll try to do better from now on.

Looking back on my last few reads, I feel like such a curmudgeon. Really, I don't hate romance - I want to find a great book, I just haven't found one in a while.

Her Perfect Life by Vicki Hinze
(2006, Contemporary) 1/20/07
Grade: 3

After six years as a POW in Iraq, Katie Slater returns home, to find everything changed. Her husband has remarried, her children are strangers, and her only ally is her best friend, fellow fighter pilot C.D. Quade. How can she make a new life for herself, reconnect with her children, and come to terms with her experiences as a prisoner?

The first half of this book was emotional and compelling. Katie’s struggle to deal with her memories, while finding a way back to her children and family, was heart wrenching. But in the second half, the emotions started to feel false - more “after school special” than real life. Everything turns out perfectly for Katie - her children quickly fall into her arms, her best friend is conveniently carrying a torch for her, and even her PTSD is limited to a few minor quirks. It was nice to see the heroine succeed, but the sugar was piled on with a trowel in the last part of the book.

I kind of feel like the wicked witch, disliking such a nice, well-intentioned book. But nice is not enough! (I should turn that into a t-shirt...)

1 comment:

Kristie (J) said...

Wow! When you catch up you really catch up *g*. I haven't read all the books you reviewed but
Born in Death - although it's not my favourite in the series, still because it's Eve and Roarke and the rest of them, I love it anyways.

Chesapeake Bay: Wasn't that impressed with it either

Annalise: I read this one years ago and still have it, but I don't really remember it that well. She is an author you ask it famous question "whatever happened to?" isn't she? I have about 3 of her books

And that's it for the books you've reviewed

And glad you're back!!