It's so hard to find an anthology where all the stories are worth reading. Usually, there are only one or two really good stories in an anthology, which is why I hate to spend a lot of money on one. So an anthology in trade size was hard to take! So I read this story sitting in Borders, instead of spending $14 for the whole book. (Even though it was a very good story!)
"Street Corners and Halos" by Catherine Spangler
(in Demon's Delight anthology)
(2007, Contemporary Paranormal) 3/24/07
Grade: 4.5
The heroine is a vampire prostitute who gives men the illusion of sex in return for blood. She was turned in a concentration camp, where her family died. The hero is an angel, who tries to teach the heroine to live again, whether it’s going to a movie and buying a pretty dress, caring for a friend, or taking a chance to be human again.
Although this story is too short, it’s a wonderful redemption story. The heroine is a wonderful tortured heroine - she survives any way she can, but she’s never forgiven herself for surviving when her family did not, and she can’t let herself be happy, even in small ways. The hero is more of a blank slate - he’s good, he wants to help, he’s a hip angel. He isn’t characterized as deeply, probably because of the limited space. But the way he gradually persuades the heroine to find happiness, and forgive herself, is very touching. I love a good redemption story.
Although I'm not a big fan of paranormal, I occasionally enjoy a good vampire story. (I loved Angel, who was the ultimate tortured hero.) Unfortunately, most vampire stories these days don't really focus on the tortured hero aspect, which is why I rarely read them. I enjoyed reading about a tortured heroine vampire, which is a nice change of pace!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment