Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Fine Line Between Nice and Boring

I'm always bemoaning the lack of "nice guy" heroes in romance. I'm not a fan of the alpha jerk, and my favorite heroes are the betas. But unfortunately, there's a fine line between nice and boring - the author still has to give the hero and heroine some kind of conflict to keep the story interesting.

Vermont Valentine by Kristin Hardy (SSE 1739)
(2006, Contemporary Series) 4/3/07
Grade: 3

Celie Favreau has come to Vermont to fight the maple borer, an insect that is threatening the maple trees in the sugarbush. The first farmer she meets is Jacob Trask, a gruff but kind man who has spent his life dedicated to his family and the farm. Both the hero and heroine are convinced they’ll never find love because of their work, but they can’t resist the attraction.

At first, this was a fascinating look at maple syrup farming. The details were fascinating, and the characters were likeable and sympathetic, with nice chemistry between them. However, the book started to get a bit dull in the second half. I kept putting it down. There wasn’t any real conflict between the characters, other than some whining from Jacob about how he was “meant to be alone”, and the rest of the book felt rote and unoriginal. I ended up skimming. Too bad, because there were some nice moments in the first part of the book.

I feel like I was too harsh on this very nice, very sweet book. Sometimes sweet is good. But when it takes me two weeks to force myself to finish a book, there's something wrong.

No comments: