Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Golden Chance by Jayne Ann Krentz

I haven’t been in the mood to read anything new recently, so I’ve been rereading a few “comfort reads” from my keeper shelf, including some of my JAK keepers. (I have five of her books on my keeper shelf – Coral Kiss, Family Man, Wildest Hearts, Grand Passion and Trust Me.) I’ve read all of JAK’s single titles from the 1990’s, but I hadn’t read some of them in many years – I decided to pick up a couple and see what I thought of them now.

The Golden Chance by Jayne Ann Krentz
(1990, Contemporary) 1/30/08
Grade: 3.5

Nick Lightfoot sees a chance to return to the family fold – the stock shares now owned by Philadelphia Fox. The family is desperate to get those shares back, and Nick is willing to give it a try – but Phila isn’t quite what he expected…

It’s hard not to think of Family Man when reading this book, and unfortunately, this book suffers by comparison. The characters are just not explored in the same depth as they are in JAK’s better titles. Although Nick isn’t exactly an alpha jerk, I found him irritating – it’s not just that he was arrogant, but that he wasn’t explained and explored to the extent that some of JAK’s other arrogant heroes have been. I just found him annoying, rather than seeing his point of view. And I got bored with the intrafamily machinations, which took up way too much space here. There were some nice moments – I especially liked Nick’s patience and concern when it came to Phila’s sexual issues – but overall, it just wasn’t on par with her other books.

I’m so terribly picky…

No comments: