Tuesday, January 01, 2008

One Way Out by Michele Albert

Unfortunately, my first read of 2008 was a disappointment - hopefully that isn't a sign! (Actually, I read most of it in 2007, but forced myself through the last couple of chapters after the ball dropped.)

One Way Out by Michele Albert
(2005, Suspense) 1/1/08
Grade: 2.5

After fossil hunter Cassie Ashton finds a rare baby rex, she is forced to cooperate with paleontologist Alex Martinelli, even though he’s annoying (and dangerously sexy!) But when someone steals Trixie, Cassie and Alex are forced to work together to save her - and themselves.

A book that started with a lot of promise, but went downhill quickly in the second half. The coolest part of the book was the background information on fossil hunting and paleontology - I loved that the characters were both devoted to their work, and got just as excited by bones as they did by each other. Their sexy banter was fun as well. However, the book turned into a run-of-the-mill, tedious suspense story when the t-rex was stolen, and after that, it was just blah, blah, blah. (Some of the developments were laughably ridiculous - we’re on the run, bad people are chasing us, so let’s have sex! twice! in the woods!) I went from liking these characters to finding them dumb and boring.

Sigh... I'm beginning to think I shouldn't even bother reading any suspense books, since it's so rare that I enjoy them.

No comments: