Saturday, September 27, 2008

Barefoot in the Grass by Judith Arnold

I'm a great fan of the "issue romance". I know a lot of people don't like them, but I find it very rewarding, reading about a heroine who has overcome a real-life obstacle (like breast cancer in this book), and is still able to find love and happiness. To me, that makes the book all the more satisfying and emotional, and leaves me with a happy feeling. But, I guess that's not a common response among romance readers, because I've only read 2 or 3 other books that dealt with this issue (and unfortunately, the other ones were not that great). I know there are "women's fiction" books that deal with this topic, but I prefer to read romance - where I'm guaranteed my happy ending.

I'm always terribly picky when it comes to romance, but the reluctance of romance readers to read books like this has always baffled me. It seems like a natural fit for romance, in my opinion. What's more romantic than a hero who loves you no matter what?

Barefoot in the Grass by Judith Arnold (HSR 715)
(1996, Contemporary Series) 9/27/08
Grade: 4

After losing a breast to cancer, Beth Pendleton leaves New York for the calm of small town New Hampshire. She plans to buy a house, get a dog, walk barefoot in the grass. She didn’t expect to meet contractor Ryan Walker, or to be so attracted to him. Ryan can’t stop thinking about Beth, but how will he react when he finds out the truth?

This was a heartfelt story with a very sympathetic heroine. She was strong and smart and sarcastic - a real person. Ryan was a bit less developed, but his instant attraction to Beth was depicted very well - he just can’t stop thinking about her, almost despite himself. And when the truth of Beth’s secret finally comes to life, his reaction is not perfect bliss - he struggles with it. However, I felt the book had a major problem with pacing. It takes far too long in the first part of the book - the book is more than 2/3 over before Beth reveals her secret. It was just a bit too slow and plodding in the first section. After a while, I felt like the author was dragging her feet. And then, once the truth comes out, although it’s very emotional, it’s just a bit too short. I think the book would have been better if the big reveal had occurred earlier in the story. However, it was still very good, and I enjoyed it and found it quite moving.

I haven't heard much from Judith Arnold lately, although she wrote a Harlequin Everlasting last year that I enjoyed. I've enjoyed many of her books, and it's too bad that she hasn't written more recently.

1 comment:

Judith Arnold said...

Thanks for remembering BAREFOOT IN THE GRASS, which is a special book for me.

I'm still writing. The manuscripts I've been working on aren't straight romance and don't fit easily into a genre slot, so publishers have been a little wary. But I love what I'm writing, and I hope publishers will soon be willing to take a chance on my new stuff.

Meanwhile, I do have a new book, HOPE STREET, scheduled for release in April of 2009. Harlequin will be publishing it as a trade paperback.

All the best,
Judith Arnold