The con artist heroine is not that uncommon in American historicals, but I've rarely seen this type in Regency-set romances. One reason I get tired of the Regency period isn't because of the period itself, but because of the restrictions that authors (and readers) sometimes put on the genre - only certain kinds of characters allowed. This heroine is pretty mild, as "con artist" heroines go, but it is a refreshing change from the typical Regency miss.
Something About Emmaline by Elizabeth Boyle
(2005, Regency Historical) 9/3/08
Grade: 3.5
When Alex, Lord Sedgwick, made up a wife, he thought he was avoiding trouble. But when Emmaline shows up and starts redecorating his house, Sedgwick doesn’t know what to think - who is this imposter, and why is she so attractive and appealing? She isn’t at all the wife he’d envisioned.
This was a cute book with appealing characters, but it didn’t have much deep emotion. The hero and heroine were both a lot of fun, and I especially enjoyed Emmaline, who has lived by her wits all her life, and is a refreshing change from the typical romance heroine. She and Alex had nice chemistry together, and their interactions were enjoyable. I would have given this book a slightly higher grade if it weren’t for the ending, which throws in one unbelievable coincidence after another, just to make everything come out perfect with a ribbon on top. It kind of spoiled the book for me, just a bit - Alex’s sacrifice to marry Emmaline despite her background didn’t mean much after her past was whisked away. But overall, it was an enjoyable read, although I doubt I’ll remember much about it by next week!
I've ranted about this before, but I'll say it again - why do authors feel the need to wash away all of the heroine's issues in the last chapter of a book? Do readers really want this? I love reading about a hero who will sacrifice for love, and at least to me, it feels less satisfying if the hero's sacrifice turns out to mean nothing because the heroine is really nobly born, or isn't really poor, or whatever. This particular book ends with a coincidence that's so outlandish, it would make a soap opera writer blush. Why? Do readers really think it makes the ending "more happy"?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment