Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Survivor in Death by J.D. Robb

I love watching procedurals on TV - I can't get enough of Law & Order, CSI and The Wire. But for some reason, I don't usually find procedural mysteries as appealing in book form. I guess I'm looking for something different when I'm reading than when I'm watching TV. Although I read a lot of mysteries when I was younger, I don't find them all that appealing any more. However, I was drawn to the first J.D. Robb books. The first few books in this series combined a great relationship between Eve and Roarke with a heroine who had a real feeling for the victims, because of her own past as a victim of violence. But that aspect of the books seems to be fading away as the series continues. The passion isn't there (depsite the energetic sex scenes between Eve and Roarke). I guess no author (even Nora Roberts) can sustain that over 29 books. Too bad.

Salvation in Death by J.D. Robb
(2008, Suspense) 11/18/08
Grade: 3

When a well-loved priest is poisoned during a funeral, Eve quickly discovers that he’s not what he seems. Is Father Miguel Flores really who he claimed to be? And when a similar killing fells an evangelical minister, is she looking at a serial killing? Or does it all go back to the supposed priest’s old neighborhood and a 20 year old crime?

I can’t help wondering, was I too distracted to give this book my full attention? (I read it during chemotherapy.) I don’t think that was the problem. I recently reread one of the early J.D. Robb books during an equally distrating hospital visit, and it kept my attention completely. In her last few books, the focus has been on the mystery, with only brief interludes of personal relationships (and even those have become routine). I don’t get the personal attachment that Eve had with her earlier cases. (And it doesn’t help that everyone in this case is unsympathetic - Eve has more passion for her cases when she has a strong feeling for the victim and finding justice for him or her.) I never really got a feeling for the “victim” here until the very end, and even then, it was hard to reconcile his initial description as a caring priest with the revelations of who he really was and what he was doing. Overall, this was a fairly blah entry in the series.

While I was waiting at the drug store, I picked up a copy of Suite 606, which has a short story by J.D. Robb. And interestingly, I found the first 15 pages of that story a lot more appealing than this full-length book. I didn't get a chance to finish, but I was more interested in that story than in finishing the longer book that I had in my bag. (Not enough to pay full price for an anthology that only had one story I wanted to read, but still...)

No comments: