Most romance readers are author loyalists. They have a list of favorite authors, and they'll buy every book by that author. If they try a new author, they'll either add that author to their auto-buy list, or drop her. I was like that when I first started reading romance, but I've since become a promiscuous reader. Even if I like an author, I won't auto-buy her books. I'll pick and choose, only buying those books that have plots and characters that appeal to me, even if I end up reading the middle book in a series. I guess that makes me disloyal - I'm more interested in an appealing plot or type of story than I am in a particular author. On the other hand, I think it makes me more willing to give authors second chances. I hated an earlier book by Elizabeth Hoyt, almost to the point of wall-banging. I thought I'd never read another book of hers. But when I read the description of this book, and when I skimmed a few sections of the book in the store, I could see that this was a very different type of book, much more my style. So I was willing to give it a chance. And happily, I was rewarded!
To Seduce a Sinner by Elizabeth Hoyt
(2008, Georgian) 11/26/08
Grade: 4.5
After Jasper Renshaw, Lord Vale is left at the altar, Melisande decides to take a chance and asks him to marry her instead. To her surprise, he agrees. Melisande has loved Jasper from afar for years, but as she gets to know him better, she finds his carefree attitude hides deep secrets - and he finds that the shy and quiet Melisande has hidden depths as well.
From the beginning, this book pulled me in. The characters were immediately appealing - shy but resolute Melisande, teasing, open-hearted Jasper. The book focused primarily on getting to know these two, and building their relationship, and it was delightful to read. (I also loved the stalwart terrier, Mouse. The secondary relationship between the maid and the valet felt recycled and cliched, though.) The spy plot was not that original, but it was in the background most of the time, and the setting of the French and Indian war was unusual. And Jasper’s haunted past was very touching, and I appreciated that the heroine didn’t magically fix him. I wasn’t thrilled with the sex scenes - they were certainly hot, but the early ones felt too acrobatic and exotic for Melisande, even if she wasn’t a virgin, and I just don’t find certain words appealing, even in context. But that was a minor problem. Overall, this was a lovely book, and I enjoyed all of it.
I don't know if it's a coincidence or a trend, but I'm very happy with all the books I've read this year with "nice guy" heroes. Heroes who genuinely like and respect the heroines and want to get to know them. These are the heroes that I love, and I hope this run of nice heroes is a real trend. (Maybe all the authors who write alpha jerks have moved over to paranormals?) I never understood the appeal of the hero who treats the heroine like dirt for 300 pages and then declares his love - that's romance? Not for me. Give me a nice hero every time. Vale isn't a nerd or a wimp - but he doesn't need to wipe his feet on the heroine to be a man.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment