Sunday, January 23, 2005

Contemporary Angst?

I'm always eager to find an author who writes serious contemporaries (that aren't romantic suspense). I've been looking forward to trying Virginia Kantra.

The Passion of Patrick MacNeill
(1999, Contemporary Series) 1/23/05
Grade: 4

Since the accident that killed his wife Patrick MacNeill has devoted himself to his son’s recovery. But when he sees Dr. Kate Sinclair, he can’t help thinking of more than medicine. Kate has dedicated herself to medicine, and nothing else, for so long that she’s not sure how to handle a relationship - or even if she wants to.

Although Kantra writes well, the book was slow to get started. The set-up of the relationship was somewhat awkward - it seemed forced, just to get the book going. But once that was out of the way, the book improved. The hero and heroine were likeable, the kid was cute without being cutesy. The details about burn recovery were fascinating and touching. I found the hero a more interesting character than the heroine - normally I’m sympathetic to the heroine who doesn’t think she’s desirable, but the heroine’s angst seemed too predictable and by-the-numbers. (Maybe it needed more space?) But the book was compelling and readable, even if it didn’t blow me away.

Even though I wasn't as thrilled with this book as I'd hoped to be, I'm still looking forward to the other Kantra books in my TBR. I think she might do better in a longer format, if anyone is still allowed to write serious contemporary single titles. (I looked her up and found out that she, too, is moving into romantic suspense. Ugh. Very disappointing.)

No comments: