Even though I don't particularly like romantic suspense, I've always been a fan of the J.D. Robb "In Death" books. They're fast reads for me, and I always snap up the latest one as soon as it hits the shelves. (I got this one from the library.)
Survivor in Death by J.D. Robb
(2005, Futuristic Mystery) 1/30/05
Grade: 4
Two unknown killers kill a family - but accidently leave the 9 year old daughter alive. It’s up to Eve to find the killers - and protect Nixie.
Not one of her best books, but quite good. The police procedural part is terrific - you follow Eve through every step of the investigation, even the dead ends and the tedious police work. That's what really draws me to the Robb books - they're so much better at this than most "romantic suspense" books.
The relationship part of this one takes a while to get going, and seems somewhat forced at first. There are some emotional moments involving Nixie, but they're limited. But the story is fascinating, and it definitely picks up speed in the second half.
I didn't find the emotional part of the book as satisfying as some of the others in the series - I was more affected by Eve's deepening relationship with Peabody in the last one. But the mystery part was excellent, and there were some good moments. Overall, not the best entry in the series, but not the worst either. A satisfying read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment