Theresa Weir is another author I've had in my TBR for years - somehow I never got around to reading her!
Last Summer by Theresa Weir
(1992, Contemporary) 1/10/05
Grade: 3.5
When movie star Johnnie Irish returns to his home town of Hope, Texas, he can’t wait to leave, and forget the memories of a painful and abusive childhood. But he finds himself intrigued by staid widowed teacher Maggie Mayfield. He keeps trying to leave - but comes back again and again, drawn back by a woman who can’t help loving him.
It started out with great promise. The first chapters were evocative and sexy, with interesting characters. (It reminded me of LaVyrle Spencer's best contemporaries.) I could understand Johnnie’s “bad boy” appeal - he was more than the cliched romance hero. But after a while, I got tired of the on again - off again romance. Over and over, they get together, have sex, then Johnnie leaves and Maggie misses him. And then there’s the typical romance “plot twist” - a baby. I almost stopped reading at that point. I’m giving this a slightly better than average grade because of the evocative writing style and strong beginning, but in the end, it was a disappointment.
This isn't one of Theresa Weir's best books, so I'm still looking forward to reading her other books in my TBR. But this one was, unfortunately, a disappointment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Karen,
Love your blog. I read this book a few years ago and liked it slightly better than you did. The baby plot didn't bother me, but I remember something yucky about nursing that pulled me out of the story towards the end. Not quite sure if I am remembering the right book.
If it wasn't her best effort, it is still heads and tails over most romances.
Keep up the great work, Alyson
Post a Comment