Sunday, December 11, 2005

An Admirable Read

I have a couple of "following the drum" books in my TBR pile - I'll be interested to see how different authors explore the subject.

Rules of Marriage by Wilma Counts
(2002, Regency Historical) 12/11/05
Grade: 3.5

After four years married to a cruel soldier, Rachel is resigned to her fate, although she defies her husband to save the life of wounded Major Jake Ferguson. When her husband sells her at an auction, it’s Jake who saves her. She and Jake live together on the campaign trail, but when she returns to England, can she continue as his mistress? Or his wife?

This is a book to be admired for its nobility, rather than loved. The characters rarely come to life - Rachel in particular is so saintly and so passive, it’s hard to root for her or believe in her character. The hero and heroine are apart for much of the book, and their relationship seems rote. The book does contain a lot of interesting details about the Spanish campaign and the lives of the women following the drum, but the book is more of a history lesson, with just a small dollop of romance. I enjoyed the history and I'll keep it in mind when I read other books about the period, but I doubt I'll remember the romance. The characters are just too perfect and the story too predictable.

Red, Red Rose by Marjorie Farrell is sitting next to my bed - I can't decide if I should jump right into another "women in war" book or try something completely different.

No comments: