AAR did a recent review of this Harlequin American series title from 1994 - I was looking for a short and light read so I picked it up at the used bookstore.
The Adventuress by M.J. Rodgers (HAR 520)
(1994, Contemporary Series) 12/23/05
Grade: 3.5
Timid librarian Pamela Gibson has a secret - she writes bestsellers about the sexy, adventurous “Roxanne Rainey”, who travels the world righting wrongs. But when she’s bonked on the head during a helicopter hijacking, she wakes up thinking she’s actually Roxanne, and that she and reluctant pilot and pararescuer Skye have to rescue a kidnapping victim in trouble!
A silly-but-fun adventure story, which doesn’t take itself too seriously. The tone is definitely tongue in cheek. I don’t normally like adventure stories that much, but the short length works for it - it’s just long enough to be a fun and frothy read. Roxanne is a plucky, tough heroine who climbs cliffs and dives into Hawaiian lagoons without a second thought - except she can’t figure out why she keeps remembering life as a librarian. Skye has less personality but he and Roxanne have a lot of chemistry together. The ending is a bit rushed, but overall, a fun time is had by all.
Think of this as a twist on Romancing the Stone - an affectionate take-off on the typical romance adventure story. I probably won't remember much about it by tomorrow, but it was a fun way to spend my first day of Christmas vacation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment