Whenever I mention that I've attended a romance book signing, the first author that people ask me about is Nora Roberts. There was a woman at the post office who took great care of my packages after I told her I'd met her favorite author, and a co-worker who was fascinated by what "Nora" was wearing at a recent book signing.
I've never been a huge fan, but I have a couple of her books on my keeper shelf (Born in Fire and Born in Ice) and I usually find her books easy to read and fairly enjoyable, even if they aren't always to my taste.
Angels Fall by Nora Roberts
(2006, Romantic Suspense) 8/12/06
Grade: 3
Two years after violence shattered her life, Reece drives into Angel’s Fist, Wyoming. It’s as good a place as any: the people are nice, and she even finds work as a cook (although it’s far from her previous life as a chef in Boston). But when she witnesses a murder, she finds herself doubting her own sanity, and becoming closer to a gruff but handsome mystery writer.
The mystery was well done, but I found it hard to get into this one. I usually find Roberts easy to read, but I kept putting this one down. The romance between Reece and Brody seemed more convenient than passionate, although the author does a good job in creating a small town full of interesting characters. Reece grew on me - her fear and doubts were compelling - but I just didn’t care that much about her relationship, and was only slightly more interested in the identity of the killer. Not a bad book, but not as good a mystery as the best of the J.D. Robb books, and not as good a romance as some of Nora Roberts’ earlier titles.
Although I'm not a big romantic suspense fan, I'd heard good things about this one, and I enjoyed some of Roberts' earlier RS books (Hidden Riches, Carnal Innocence). This one just didn't do much for me, although I liked the way she hid the identity of the killer until almost the end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment