So many books are by-the-numbers retreads, as if they were written by a formula. It's refreshing to read something different, even if it has flaws.
The Music of the Night by Lydia Joyce
(2005, Victorian) 8/13/06
Grade: 4.5
A life as a companion in Venice is more than Sarah ever expected, after a childhood spent in the rookeries of London. But when she is caught up in the Earl of Wortham’s plans of dark revenge, she finds a passion she never expected - and a dangerous love that might destroy her forever.
Intriguing and unique, Lydia Joyce creates fascinating characters and puts them in unusual settings and situations. Both Sarah and Sebastian are compelling, sympathetic characters, and the Venetian setting is fascinating. But the author’s convoluted plotlines make the story hard to follow - I always felt like I was one step behind, and was never quite sure what was going on. I don’t need to be spoonfed every detail, but it was sometimes frustrating. As in her first book, the pacing was off sometimes - the middle section was drawn out, and then the final scenes were overly rushed. An interesting book, but one that could have been improved.
I've heard mixed things about Joyce's third book - I hope she keeps trying new things, but I think I'd enjoy her books more if they were a little more clearly plotted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment