It's always hard to review a book that just doesn't seem "right", for some reason.
Her Perfect Earl by Bethany Brooks
(2005, Regency) 8/27/06
Grade: 3
In hopes of winning a classics competition, Esmerelda Fortune accepts a position as governess for the Earl of Ashforth’s five children. She is looking for a missing manuscript, but finds herself more interested in his lonely children - and the “perfect” Earl himself, who is not as perfect as he wants people to believe.
A nice story that didn’t quite gel. It’s hard to explain - there was something about the characterizations, particularly of the Earl, that just didn’t work. The author kept telling me who he was, but it never felt quite real. The children were more interesting, the story was fun, and Esmie was charming, but I kept thinking that the author was trying too hard. It just didn’t touch my emotions the way it should have.
I can't point to any particular problem with this book, but the entire time I was reading it, I felt like something was "off". Weird.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment