Sunday, January 21, 2007

Another Day In Death

Although I'm not a big romantic suspense fan, I never miss an installment of the J.D. Robb "In Death" series.

Born In Death by J.D. Robb
(2006, Mystery/Suspense) 12/6/06
Grade: 3.5

Another Eve and Roarke mystery. Eve is investigating the deaths of two accountants, who may have stumbled across something shady at work. In the meantime, Mavis is about to give birth, and Eve is warily acting as a birthing coach and hosting a baby shower. But when one of Mavis’s pregnant friends disappears, will Eve save the day?

I’m not sure I can give this a proper review, since I read it at a very stressful time in my life. But it’s a decent entry in the “in Death” series. The original case about the accountants was well constructed. I appreciated the way the murder victims were humanized - they weren’t just anonymous bodies. And of course, the subplot about Mavis and her pregnancy was a lot of fun, especially the baby shower. But having the second mystery link in to the original case seemed too convenient, too coincidental. Usually Nora Roberts writes tighter mystery plots in her J.D. Robb books.

I like J.D. Robb's books best when she writes a really tight mystery - so many romance authors write pathetic mystery plots in their RS novels, but Robb usually does better. This one relied too much on a preposterous coincidence.

No comments: