I've never felt compelled to read series in order, but I guess it's a little weird to read the first book last.
Open Secret by Janice Kay Johnson
(2006, Contemporary Series) 12/28/06
Grade: 3.5
Although Carrie always felt out-of-place in her family, she never dreamed she was adopted. But when private investigator Mark Kinkaid shows up at her doorstep, she’s forced to confront the truth. But is her attraction to Mark just a matter of convenience... or something more?
The first in Johnson’s series, this is probably the weakest of the trilogy, but still, it’s well worth reading. Johnson manages to avoid (or confront) many of the “adoption story” cliches, and deal with the push-pull emotions of an adoptee with two families. The romance is not as compelling here, although the characters are likeable and well paired, but it takes a back seat to the adoption story. The whole series is well written and easy to read, and well worth reading.
I'm very impressed by Janice Kay Johnson (who I've read a few times before). She writes a lot of baby books, but I'm hoping to find some more gems in her backlist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment