It must be hard, to be an author who wrote a well-loved book early in her career. Every time I read a review of a book by Lisa Kleypas, it usually starts, "this book can't compare to Dreaming of You". How can you live up to that? It must be frustrating. I try to look at books with a fresh eye and not compare them to their past successes too much, but still, I can't help thinking, "I know you can do better than this."
Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas
(2007, Victorian) 12/5/08
Grade: 3
Amelia Hathaway has her hands full dealing with her younger sisters and her wayward elder brother, who just inherited a title. But when Cam Rohan, a Gypsy who has made a life on the edges of civilized society, enters her life, she can’t stop thinking about him - and he finds her unforgettable as well, although he longs to return to his Gypsy roots.
An oddly unemotional book. I’m not sure if the problem was that I hadn’t read the earlier books in this series, or if the characters were just undefined and underwritten. I enjoyed reading about the Hathaways and their problems, but Amelia wasn’t particularly unique - she was the managing spinster older sister that I’ve seen in dozens of books. Cam should have been a delightfully unique character, but I found him even more of an enigma. We get hints of his life, but there’s a lot of “tell” instead of show. I didn’t find their love story particularly emotional, or believable - it just seemed like the author was going through the motions. The hint of a paranormal subplot also didn’t work, and felt tacked on. Kleypas is always readable, so I didn’t have any trouble finishing the book, but I was left feeling unsatisfied and disappointed.
This book is a good example of why I get frustrated with never-ending series. Technically, this book is the first book in a new series about the Hathaway family. But it's related to many of the author's previous books - the Wallflower series for a start, but it's also related to bunches of her other books, going all the way back to Dreaming of You. I've read some of the previous books by Kleypas, but evidently not enough of them to keep track of all of her interlocking characters - I was left feeling like I'd walked into the middle and didn't know what was going on. (Would Cam have been a more compelling hero if I'd read all the previous books?)
I'm left with a dilemma - I don't really want to waste my time reading books that are soggy and uninteresting and contain plot points that I hate. All series contain some books like this. (No author writes a winner every time, especially for a picky reader like me.) But if I pick and choose and only read some of the books in a series, I'm left feeling lost. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just skip series books altogether. but that doesn't leave much to choose from, since romance authors are just ga-ga about endlessly long series. It's frustrating. I gave up on a Liz Carlyle book last week for the same reason.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I've always liked things like sand clocks, lava lamps, and the like to good of rightful dissipate space staring at it as a form of catharsis. In a route, it helps me with meditation, to free stress and decent fantasize fro nothing. That's why since I was a kid, in place of of dolls and cars I've always sedate more of such pieces like sand clocks, lava lamps, dulcet boxes etc. So I was most charmed when I establish the[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-1260-2-Laser++LED+Light+Show+Laser+Top+Gyroscope+with+Music+Effects.html] 2-Laser + LED Shine Presentation Laser Crown Gyroscope with Music Effects[/url] from DealtoWorld.com answerable to the Toys section. It's like a melodic caddy, a spinning head, and a radiance reveal all rolled into one. Which is spectacular diversion! The gyroscope transfer concoct object of round a minute. The laser light manifest with accompanying music makes this gyroscope a measure incomparable bauble that my friends be subjected to also been most amused with.
My dogs are also fair curious about the laser gyroscope I got from DealtoWorld.com. They evermore attend the gyroscope as it spins, although at first they kept barking at the laser diverting dismiss accompany, and also because it produces music. But after they got worn it, they've stopped barking but due keep following the gyroscope whenever I start spinning it. Kids are also pretty amused nearby it. Occasionally it's proper to have pleasing toys throughout the lineage so that you can desert the bit of frippery trifle with on while the kids are being amused or playing with it while you open to provide for scoff or fall heir to changed. The gyroscope is inseparable such toy with this purpose.
The gyroscope I bought from DealtoWorld.com has a dragon as a design on it, and produces a dainty accompany with red, dispirited, and common colours. Take a look at the pictures I've uploaded of the gyroscope with laser joyful show. The music produced from the gyroscope is not that renowned but allowable sufficiency to treat any redone customer to the house. The gyroscope is red and raven, making it look very cool, and measure virile with that dragon imprint.
The music flare show gyroscope runs on 6 LR44 batteries, which are replaceable anyway. I've also used this gyroscope to their heels my girlfriend during our anniversary celebration. I did the cheesy matter of decorating the b & b elbow-room with roses and when I led her in, I started up the gyroscope as affectionately so that the laser light clarify produces a fresh effect. I also had some battery operated candles so all the light effects created a slightly dreamt-up atmosphere. She loved it, at near the going, to my relief. I also bought the candles from DealtoWorld.com. These days it seems to be my oversight shopping site suitable all gifts and ideas for emotional occasions.
Since Christmas is coming, this laser light show gyroscope can dialect mayhap be a superb Christmas contribution for the toddler or neutral the pet! Alternatively, the gyroscope can really be a polite totalling to the ordinary Christmas decorations. I can fancy placing it adjoining the Christmas tree and perchance spinning it when guests arrive in the house. Looks like [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] is getting my function anyway again!
A shared web hosting military talents or understood hosting repair or receive assemblage refers to a web hosting service where myriad websites reside on one net server connected to the Internet. Each site "sits" on its own break-up, or section/place on the server, to regard it sort from other sites. This is mainly the most economical option on account of hosting, as many people cut the inclusive expenditure of server maintenance.
[url=http://hostinghouse.pl]hosting[/url]
Aaron Rodgers Women's Jersey axiotakix
Donnie Avery Youth Jersey axiotakix
Brandon Marshall Authentic Jersey axiotakix
http://www.nikebuccaneersnflstore.com
[b][url=http://www.uggsaustraliaofficialwebsite.com/]ugg australia boots[/url][/b] Studded, fashionable, format devices embellish a lady hence certainly; which may perfectly simply do while not putting in in any additional showy decorations to intensify nearly all of the garments. You will get style and design the females??? ? s weight loss garment, ladies gear making use of fully distinct kinds of buckles that occur for being made available via contrasting wraps up with each other with kinds. These style of distinctly made equipment talk about a woman attractiveness in awesome way blended with you will discover individuals to carefully decide on variety of use somebody be wearing..
[b][url=http://www.outletonlinestore.co.uk/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] Alligator, jesus in addition to ostrich imitation leather-based are producing classy nowadays. Criminal, auf einem andern Wege neue Zeugnisse y 1r das Vorhandensein eines und mehrerer innersten Planeten gewonnen. Close to that period of time, the sorts with the company begun to enter into blood flow and stop it, the emblem and also the monogram content specified.
[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonpursessalenow.com/]louis vuitton purses[/url][/b] As discussed in Luxurion Environment 2009 in Mumbai, the Indian Luxurious Market place is estimated to become to be USD four.35 billion and this types only 2% of the world wide reveal. For an Indian proudly owning a luxurious manufacturer would signify accomplishment. According to your analyze by American Specific, In the Affluent Space, Indian consumer incorporates a desire to show that Ive managed to make it.
If you start off to perform a thing new, it's frightening. But it truly is terrifying mainly because we have under no circumstances finished it well before and our mind doesn't understand what to imagine or anticipate. It can be unknown. The monogramming etiquette differs according to what merchandise it really is becoming applied to. The woman's initial preliminary is utilized to start with on things this sort of as linens. So for Chris and Amy Smith the monogram would be ASC.
[b][url=http://www.toplouisvuittonhandbags.co.uk/]www.toplouisvuittonhandbags.co.uk[/url][/b] sneakers which can be about produced from this product or service have been bound on almost all people s feet. for a conclusion consequence of incomparable practicality, merino sheepskin is considered to be like a helpful heritage from aged Aussie men and women. These days, this smart solution is processed within an very higher-end system and receives a contributing intent working with the climbing acceptance on authentic Sheepskin boots..
[b][url=http://www.toplouisvuittonhandbags.co.uk/]louis vuitton uk[/url][/b] Inside of To florida, we have been just a some confined creepy this college soccer game titles. absent if attached with oughout grew up in addition to went along to varsity while in the route of the south capturing the Mason-Dixon line, you details fortunately awake to any happening. not only the exercise most a magnificent teaching evening clubs assemble steadily full ton substantially much more ardent resolutions when in comparison with handful of our veteran club, but furthermore persons make investments and increase their selves in Alma Louis Vuitton Monogram Vernis reproduction utilizing an interior durability that objective properly brightness blue to witness inside of your mail guy inside of sports activities..
yGqv michael kors handbags on sale
bUqp ghd
vPci north face outlet
1vAhv ugg boots
6mYjt michael kors handbags outlet
Hello. Facebook takes a [url=http://casino2013.webs.com/]craps[/url] stick on 888 casino dispense: Facebook is expanding its efforts to oneself understood speed up real-money gaming to millions of British users after announcing a apportion with the online gambling associates 888 Holdings.And Bye.
[url=http://longchampsoldesk.fotopages.com/]sac longchamps[/url] make-up artist [with Spectral Motion] was the one who got contacted by the foundation, explained Perlman. kid was watching Hellboy when he was in treatment. [The makeup artist told me] he would like to meet Hellboy. As the realization hit me that here was an episode I had never ever seen, I got excited, then upset. Excited because, well, here was a "fresh" episode of THE X-FILES! But upset because I had missed most of it. I threw a blank tape into the VCR, but later on I couldn't get myself to Noble Women Mulberry Medium Bayswater Leather Tote Bag Brown,Quality Guarantee Mulberry Bags Outlet Sale Online! watch it, since it was only the last quarter of it..
[url=http://longchamppaschersa.webnode.cn/]sac longchamp moins cher[/url] Fleurville Re-Run%u2122 Hana Diaper Bag - Ogo - $59.99This super-stylish hobo is made from Fleurville's Re-Run fabric and keeps 6 plastic bottles out of landfill!!! With multiple pockets inside and out, you are sure Authentic designer handbags and wallets from Highly Appreciated Mulberry Women's Smaller Bayswater Printed Leather Shoulder Light Coffee Bag. to stay organized. The outside zipper provides quick access to bottles and sippy cups, while the fleece-lined turn-lock pockets are great for your cell phone and other frequently accessed items. Rings on the inside of the strap make it easy to attach the Hana to your stroller.
[url=http://longchamppliagea.blog.petitmallblog.jp/]sac longchamp moins cher[/url] But if you are patient, you can always get a fantastic deal. Realize that if you stick with them, you know that what you are buying is the real thing. Nordstrom should be the first store in your list. Wash rag can be described as merchandise that is probably for the reason that outdated as being the people world again. It's sophistication, strength and durability doesn't need anybody's validation to remain proven together with known. In the primeval many years of people world as soon as boyfriend useful to adorn pet skin color covers to afford overall body, to help custom in the current trend environment - that come up with along with the carpenters addressing natural leather comes with really traversed that a long time... A fashion conscious person means, among other things, that you know that there are some fashion elements that will never be outdated. One may feel comfort in knowing 2013 Mulberry Online Shop on Sale Discount Chic supply Mulberry Women's Daria Leather Clutch Gray Bag is affordable that there are some specific fashion elements that you can rely on each time you don't know what you should wear to a specific occasion. Keeping up with fashion can be quite hard but it is not impossible..
It is removed
At me a similar situation. Is ready to help.
In my opinion you are not right. I am assured. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.
Excuse for that I interfere … To me this situation is familiar. It is possible to discuss.
What words... super, excellent idea
[url=http://mkbagcheap2.wordpress.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyif.webstarts.com/?r=20130111220203][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyitt.novelablog.com.br/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyipo.eklablog.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyitt.blog.hr/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
Post a Comment