Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Amorous Liaisons by Sarah Mayberry

I am always a little skeptical about Blaze books. You never know when you buy one, if you're getting a real romance or just a contrived sex-fest. And often, the requirement for early sex scenes leads to a contrived plotline. However, I have read some good Blazes so I don't want to dismiss them out of hand - but I only buy them when I have a specific recommendation. I occasionally will pick up a Superromance or a Special Edition if it just looks appealing (since so many series books are never reviewed, it's hard to find them otherwise), but usually not a Blaze.

Amorous Liaisons by Sarah Mayberry (HB 425)
(2008, Contemporary Series) 12/10/08
Grade: 3.5

When an injury forces ballet dancer Maddy Green to retire prematurely, she turns to an old friend, Max Laurent, a ballet dancer who also had to leave his career early, to take care of his father. She needs a shoulder to cry on, but she’s always been attracted to him, and hopes that it leads to more. But Max only wants to be a friend... or does he?

I really liked parts of this book, but in the end, it fell short. I found the hero and heroine compelling characters - Maddy’s frustration and grief at losing her career was well portrayed, as well as Max’s insecurity about his new career as an artist. The sometimes contrived Blaze sex scenes made me roll my eyes at times, but overall, the characters had great sexual tension and the attraction between them felt real. I also loved the setting in Paris and characters who weren’t American (she’s Australian, he’s French). But, the “big misunderstanding” that kept them at odds for most of the book felt very contrived and annoying. She likes him but thinks he wants to be just friends. He likes her but thinks she wants to be just friends. That’s fine for a start, but after the first 100 pages, I wanted to say “just get over it already!” It was particularly irritating in the last section of the book, when it felt like a contrivance just to pull the hero and heroine apart again. This book was good, but it could have been much better.

Just a random comment - although I didn't love the cover, I was impressed that the artist replicated a dress that is described specifically in the book.

No comments: