Julie Ann Long is another author who's been recommended to me many times, but I've never gotten around to reading. After reading this one, I'm still not quite sure - I have a couple of her books in my TBR pile, but the other books in this particular series don't sound that appealing. I'll have to wait and see.
Like No Other Lover by Julie Ann Long
(2008, Regency Historical) 12/21/08
Grade: 4
Out of money and desperate, Cynthia Brightly is hoping to find a husband at the house party given by Miles Redmond. She was once the toast of the ton, but scandal destroyed her chances. Miles was once attracted to Cynthia, but turned away when he discovered her mercenary interests. But even as he disapproves, he can’t get her out of his mind...
There was a lot of good qualities to this book. The writing was excellent, very expressive, and the characters were interesting and sympathetic. But somehow, I found myself putting the book down. The pace was very slow, and after a while, it felt like the characters were going over the same ground, over and over. I like a book that’s introspective, but I just wanted the characters to make progress - particularly the hero, who seemed particularly obtuse as the book went on. The book took place over just a few days, but it felt like much longer. On the positive side, the love scenes were very lush and romantic, and I found the heroine refreshing. (Nice to read about a heroine who doesn’t think genteel poverty is appealing.) And the secondary characters were very well written - even the ones who aren’t obvious candidates for their own books. So, I’d give this a very good grade, still quite enjoyable.
Interestingly, a friend who recommended Julie Ann Long to me said that she found the heroine in this book unsympathetic. I had the opposite reaction - I got frustrated with the hero, but I found the heroine extremely sympathetic. Maybe I'm just tired of romance heroines who think it's better to suffer in poverty than to do something about it. I think I'd be looking for a rich husband, if I was a women in 1800.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment