Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Second in the Series

I continued with the second book in this series:

Swan's Grace by Linda Francis Lee
(2000, Victorian) 3/27/06
Grade: 3.5

Sophie is returning home to Boston after making a career in Europe as a cellist (albeit one who plays folk tunes instead of Bach). She hopes to see her childhood sweetheart, Grayson, but is shocked to find herself betrothed to him (courtesy of her disapproving father). Grayson still loves Sophie, but doesn’t know how to deal with the grown woman she’s become.

Another book with interesting characters that doesn’t quite work. I liked Sophie and Grayson, and their psychological backgrounds are quite interesting - every character in this trilogy has father issues - but something doesn’t quite add up. Is Grayson a chauvinistic product of his time, or a more free thinking man, willing to accept Sophie as she is? Sometimes he’s one, sometimes he’s the other, and there’s no explanation. I wanted to like this book, but it just felt unfinished.

Like most series, this one started to decline with the second book.

No comments: