Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Some Series Titles

I brought a few older series books with me, since they're easy to toss when finished. I had mixed results - there were a few others that weren't even worth finishing.

Beginner's Luck by Dixie Browning (SD 517)
(1989, Contemporary Series) 3/29/06
Grade: 2.5

The hero is a scientist who is staying at his aunt’s cabin for a few weeks. He’s shy and awkward and can’t talk to women. One of his aunt’s friends shows up, and he awkwardly tries to help her, but ends up scaring her more than helping her. Finally, she recognizes his true intentions.

This is a character in search of a book. The hero in this book is a lot of fun. His well intentioned bumbling and awkward attempts to woo the heroine are somewhat charming. But there’s not enough plot to hold this book together, and the heroine doesn’t make much of an impression. There wasn’t enough to hold the story together, even in a very short book.

I have a weakness for scientist heroes, but I wish more of them were better written!

No comments: