I don't have an objection to sexy books, but most erotica leaves me bored. If the characters don't interest me, the sex doesn't mean much, and I definitely don't want to slog through 400 pages just to get turned on. So I was skeptical of Dirty by Megan Hart, but it was recommended to me by several friends, so I vowed to give it a chance.
Dirty by Megan Hart
(2007, Contemporary) 6/12/07
Grade: 4
Elle isn’t interested in a relationship. But even though she’s been celibate for 3 years, she’s intrigued and turned on when a sexy guy picks her up, and she’s quickly having kinky sex everywhere she can. But will her sexfest with Dan turn into something more, and can she put her troubled past behind her and open herself up to a real relationship?
The first third of the book was not promising. Even though I understood the point the author was trying to make, it felt like an erotica checklist. “Sex in a public place? Check. Threesome? Check. Frequent use of the c-word? Check.” I can enjoy a hot sex scene, but this felt tedious and repetitive, like homework. The book improved once the author took a break from the constant f-ing and let us get to know the heroine. (The hero is more opaque, although I appreciate a nice guy hero - a rarity in erotica.) By the last third, emotion and character development finally came to the forefront, and I was touched by the heartfelt ending. I have to give the book a fairly high rating, but it’s a combo of 2 for the first third and 5 for the last third.
I love a good redemption story, and in the end, that's what won me over. At heart, this is a story of a tortured heroine saved by the love of a good man. But I wouldn't have made it through the first 150 pages of endless boinking if I hadn't been assured that it was worth the effort.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment