I was hoping I'd found a hidden treasure in Sabrina Jeffries... alas...
The Forbidden Lord by Sabrina Jeffries
(1999, Regency Historical) 3/15/08
Grade: 3
When rector’s daughter Emily Fairchild gets into the wrong carriage with the notorious Earl of Blackmore, she finds herself attracted despite herself. But when Emily reappears in London a few months later, disguised as Lady Emma, it’s Jordan who can’t stop thinking about her, and he’s determined to figure out who Emily really is!
This book started out with the same wit and charm that the previous book had, but unfortunately, it fizzled out fairly quickly. I liked the characters, and they had nice chemistry together, but by the middle of the book, it seemed like the same scenes were playing out over and over again. It became a little tedious. And the romance between Emma and Jordan began to feel a little cliched - maybe I’ve just read too many “sweet minister’s daughter tames the wicked rake” stories, but sometimes they can still work for me - this one did at the beginning, when Emily was exploring her sensual side as Lady Emma, but by the middle, continuing through to the end, it just seemed like same-old-same-old. I kept reading, but I was disappointed.
Why do familiar plots work in some books and not others? Something was missing here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment