Maybe I've gone on a romance overdose? I've started a dozen books this weekend, and none of them are doing anything for me. I'm looking for something to really thrill me, and all I'm getting is blah... am I expecting too much?
Bad Karma by Theresa Weir
(1999, Contemporary) 3/29/08
Grade: 3
Cleo may not be a real psychic, but if the chief of police in Egypt, Missouri wants to pay her to look for a key, she’s willing to do it. Police officer Daniel Sinclair is skeptical of Cleo from the first, but he soon discovers there’s more to Cleo than he imagined.
Although the characters in Bad Karma were compelling at times, the book just didn’t hold together as a romance. I particularly liked Cleo and her struggles to deal with the memories of her past. But after a while, it just got a little tiring - it seemed to be the same note over and over. (I feel bad saying that, because she was genuinely anguished about what happened to her, but I only needed to hear about her image of the broken pumpkin so many times... it went from poignant to dull.) And I didn’t see any connection between her and Daniel, other than sex. The secondary characters are portrayed well (especially Beau, Daniel’s mentally challenged brother) but the story needed more to hold it together. I just didn't feel a deep emotional connection to these characters.
I've tried several Theresa Weir books, and all of them seem to have such potential... but I haven't found one yet that really held together from start to finish. Forever came the closest, but lost momentum in the second half. I still have a couple more in my TBR box - will one of them be "the one"?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment