Saturday, March 22, 2008

Mr. Valentine by Vicki Lewis Thompson

A good hero goes a long way in making me like a book. However, what I like in a hero may not be the typical "romance hero type" - I like nice guy heroes who are a little insecure, not alpha manly-men. I was even a little disappointed in this book when the hero gave up his glasses for contacts - I wear contacts myself but a hero with glasses is sexy!

Mr. Valentine by Vicki Lewis Thompson (HT 624)
(1997, Contemporary Series) 3/18/08
Grade: 3.5


Krysta has a daily lunch date with Jack Killigan, where she advises him to get serious about his career. Unbeknownst to her, Jack’s been secretly writing a romance novel - and now it’s been accepted! But Jack needs a favor - will Krysta pose as “Candy Valentine” and accompany him to NYC? And will Krysta start seeing Jack as a sexy man and not just a project?

This was a fun book, although it was a bit fluffy. At the beginning, I found Krysta’s insistence on career success (and her obsession with her boss, Derek) a bit much. (The reasons behind it are explained, but she still seemed a bit clueless.) However, I liked her characterization of Jack, especially his ability to write romance, as well as his lack of confidence from time to time. He seemed very real, not a cardboard “romance hero”. The scenes in New York were cute, and I enjoyed the banter between Krysta and Jack - but it left me feeling a bit unsatisfied. I wanted more.

Even though I buy a fair number of series books (I like contemporary books, and it's hard to find them otherwise, especially since I'm not into suspense, wacky comedy or erotica), it's hard to find a series book that feels "full" enough. I've tossed a lot of them onto the trade pile lately. But the best book I read last year was also a series book, so there are gems out there - it may be like finding a needle in a haystack, but I keep looking for that needle.

No comments: