I've decided on a new approach to my TBR pile. I opened up two boxes - one historical, one contemporary - and I'm going to keep reading until I work my way through both boxes. The historical box goes from Jeffries to Kinsale, the contemporary box goes from Sullivan to Wilkins. What J and K authors will I discover? (I still have a few more "Jeffries" titles to go.)
A Notorious Love by Sabrina Jeffries
(2001, Regency Historical) 3/17/08
Grade: 3.5
After her sister is kidnapped, Helena goes searching for Daniel Brennan, a former smuggler who is now in business with her brother-in-law. Perhaps he can find her wayward sister, but Helena is determined to go with him, despite her crippled leg. Daniel has always been attracted to Helena, but traveling with her makes him see her in a whole new light.
A fun, well-written book with intriguing characters. I enjoyed getting to know Daniel and Helena, and even though their interactions were a bit cliched, it was still fun to be along for the ride. I pretty much knew where the story was going and how it was going to get there, but the characters were well drawn, and I never wanted to put the book down. Overall, a fun read, if not anything spectacular.
This is an example of a book with a familiar plot that worked, at least reasonably well. I'm not a big fan of "road romances" (I get bored with all the running around) but this one worked pretty well, and didn't leave me thinking, "haven't I read this story 20 times before?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment