Even though I've been trying to read some of my older books, I couldn't resist this one when I saw it on the shelf last month.
The Duchess's Next Husband by Terri Brisbin
(2005, Regency Historical) 6/11/05
Grade: 4.5
When Adrian became the Duke, his warm marriage became one of formality and duty, with the only goal an heir. But as his asthma attacks become worse, he fears he will die within the year. He has to find a way to protect Miranda, and find her a new husband - and in the process, he finds out his feelings for his wife are much deeper than duty - and Miranda discovers a new life for herself as well.
A deeply poignant book, this came close to being a keeper. It's rare to read a book that deals with the duty and formality of life in the Regency, even between a husband and wife. The setup is somewhat contrived, but for most of the book it works - it brings out deep emotions and had me reaching for the tissues. Unfortunately, the book gets bogged down by misunderstandings in the last section, which was frustrating. And even though things had to work out in the end, the combination of the misunderstandings and the "tie it up with a bow" ending left me wanting more - and left this one just short of keeper quality.
Even though I've met Terri dozens of times at book signings and events, I'd only read one of her books (a time travel that didn't do much for me). Obviously I've been missing out! This one was so close to being a keeper - I'm right on the edge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment