I always get a lot of reading when I'm on vacation or traveling, and I finally got some serious reading done when I was on a week-long trip to Salt Lake (for both fun and work). On my way there, I picked up an old favorite to reread, and it made the airplane trip much more enjoyable!
The Sugar Rose by Susan Carroll
(1987, Regency) 6/10/05 and 4/4/96
Grade: 4.5
Aurelia has been expecting the proposal of her neighbor and childhood sweetheart for years - but she didn't expect Justin to propose in front of his friend Everard Ramsey! Plump and plain, Aurelia isn't surprised when her fiancee neglects her, until Everard challenges her to become the talk of the ton - and she begins to see herself in a new light. But what if she's starting to fall in love with her tutor?
A charming and fun Regency, this is probably my favorite of Susan Carroll's delightful traditional Regencies. I picked this up for a friend, then started reading it myself - and I couldn't stop smiling! The characters are wonderful, and the attraction between Aurelia and Justin shines from the pages (a good example of how a traditional Regency can show attraction without sex scenes). When I first read it, it wasn't quite a keeper, and I'm still on the fence about it - I start to lose interest with all the running around in the latter part of the book - but it definitely stands up to rereading.
Even though I've enjoyed many of Susan Carroll's historicals, I don't think I have as much affection for them as I do for this Regency - the characters in the Sugar Rose just make me smile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment