I don't think I've ever read a bad book by Cheryl St. John - I'm glad I still have much of her backlist in my TBR pile!
Saint or Sinner by Cheryl St. John
(1995, Western) 6/10/05
Grade: 4
Joshua McBride nearly died in the Civil War, but he was given a second chance - and he's determined to redeem himself. Addie Stapleton won't let Josh's return spoil her precarious status in town, no matter how attracted she might be to him. But when her past comes back to haunt her, Josh is the one she turns to, and the one who stands by her.
As usual, a quiet and involving book by Cheryl St. John. The characters were well written and sympathetic (maybe a little too perfect, but I liked them). The situation was familiar, but it was well done and didn't feel stale. The secondary characters were especially notable - mentally disabled Yancey, Josh's sister Chessy, etc. Somehow St. John can write a book that has no surprises, and yet is deeply satisfying. Not as involving as some of her best books, but definitely worth reading.
Every time I read a book by St. John, I wonder why she's not better known. A true buried treasure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with you about Cheryl St. John. I think she's excellent and I try never to miss one of hers. Haver you read Joe's Wife? I think that's my favourite one of hers. Very poignant.
Hey, thanks! You guys have mentioned two of my favorite books and two of my all time favorite heroes, Joshua and Tye. Who wouldn't want a guy like one of them?
Come check out my blog sometime:
http://cherylstjohn.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment